The Poor Princess

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Streetsweeper for a Halfday

Yesterday, I participated in the "Oplan Linis Para Iwas Dengue" (okay, I made that name up) project of the city government of Mandaluyong. I woke up early (read: 7am) to prepare myself and head to the zone where I was assigned. When I got there, I took a walis tingting and started sweeping the sidewalks. At first it was easy, but after about an hour, my arms are already shaking tired. We swept 3 blocks of streets off cigar butts (mostly), candy wrappers, fallen leaves, plastics, etc. I hate smokers (excuse for my friends who smoke: I like you, but I don't like you while you're smoking), and what I hate more are smokers who throw the butts on the streets! I mean, they're already adding to air pollution, can't they at least throw their waste on proper places? What are the garbage cans for?! Grrr. Anyway... After all that sweeping, I was so tired! But all the tiredness wore off after seeing the streets clean. It made me appreciate the work of the streetsweepers more.

After that, I went home, took a short nap, ate lunch, and then went to school to work on my USP. I came back home around 1130pm. Upon coming down from the tricycle, I looked at the streets again. It made me sad that it's once again littered, and felt sorry about things. I feel sorry for myself, I feel sorry for the people who clean them everyday, and I feel sorry for the people who doesn't care for their environment. One day, it will hunt them back. I hope they learn before that day happens.

'Til my next post. God bless!

Post a Comment

0 Comments