The Poor Princess

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman Returns

Warning: This post contains spoilers and me oggling about Superman. Read at your own risk.

I watched "Superman Returns" last night. Yay! It was great! Superman is so H-O-T and cool at the same time! He's so macho and gorgeous, and cute whenever he smiles while doing his superhero duties (but I don't like the small twirled hair on his forehead-- it should be ditched). Nothing's changed about him, he still has that superstrength, superspeed, ultrasonic hearing, xray and laser vision, ice breath and good heart. I believe Brandon Routh gave justice to the role, although he didn't show much acting.

The story isn't that complicated, but the effects were great. It's like a disaster movie, only now there is someone who can do something about it. Superman returns from his 5-year hiatus by saving an airplane with it's passengers from crashing onto a baseball field. There is a space mission wherein a spacerocket that is supposed to be launched to outer space by first being attached to the plane then let go (I suppose to give it some boost). But a mysterious electromagnetic blackout occured and the rocket engine started while it was still attached to the plane, which threatens to launch both vessels to outer space. Lois Lane was inside that plane, she was one of the few press people invited for an interview about that space mission. So when Clark saw that the plan went haywire, he rushed out to save her... and the rest of the passengers. This movie part will make you hold your seats, really (and make you twitch your face especially when you imagine how it feels to be thrown left and right like marbles inside a box while it is shaken by a child).

Now, about the story... Clark came back working at the Daily Planet, Lois is living with her boyfriend and is now a mother, Lex Luthor got released from prison because Superman didn't show up as witness on hearings and duped a rich old woman to give to him all her wealth before her death.One major twist is that Lois' son 's father is Superman/Clark (I'm not sure whom, the movie didn't reveal that)! People inside the moviehouse gasped when that was revealed. That was confirmed while Lois and her son was inside Lex boat (they were held hostage). Lois faxed for help, the watchman saw that and was going to throw a heavy crystal on Lois when suddenly, he got hit with the piano by, you guessed it, the child. I think Lois was shocked by that, too, although she knows that Superman is the father. That is because the child is a bit sickly and asthmatic, so far from his father's image of strength. Lex threw the crystal placed inside a cylinder of Kryptonite to the water, and it formed a tall mountain. The crystal immitates the minerals around it and grows into a huge land when thrown into the water. Lex also pierced a sharp piece of Kryptonite at Superman's left side and it almost killed him. I wonder how Superman was able to lift the whole land caused by Lex into outer space with that piece of deadly mineral still attached on the leftside of his waist. Because right after he threw it, he fell into a coma and fell onto earth. He was immeiately rushed to the hospital even if there's nothing the doctors can do about him (they can't even pierce his skin!). He woke up a few moments after Lois and her son visited him and she told him of the secret. Also, Lois is attempting to write another article, "Why does the world need Superman", but she can't start on it. I wish she did answer why. With someone as greedy as Lex around, the world needs Superman.

About the actor, as I've said before Brandon fits the role. Kate Bosworth is okay acting as Lois, though I think another actress could have played it better. She (Lois) is the character that needs the most emotions, and Kate did just right. Kevin Spacey is old to play Lex (I'm basing this on Smallville and not on previous Superman flicks), but he is a good actor. Lex came out really greedy and evil. I don't know the name of who played Kitty, but she looks like Liv Tyler and really acts sissy. That's all I can comment about the actors because for me, none of them stood out.

There were funny parts on the movie, too, especially with Kitty. Like while inside the boat and Lex is telling Lois about her diabolical plan and:
Lex (turning to Kitty): Do you remember what my father often told me?
Kitty: What, you're losing your hair? (everybody laughed at this one)
Another was the scene with Clark and his dog. The dog brought a ball to Clark like telling him it wants to play catch. So Clark got the ball, and threw it out the farm. Knowing how strong he is, the ball flew out into space, and the dog ran after it for a while, stopped, and looked back at Clark as if it was saying "Where did it go?". The dog was so cute! Man, I wish I own one...

I think this post is long enough and doesn't make much sense. I'm like, narrating the story in an unorganized way with my comments on it. I really enjoyed the movie, and I want to see it again.
I will always love Superman, and he will remain to be my number one superhero. I hope they make the next movie soon.

Post a Comment

7 Comments

Blogger tiyaw said...

hay bat daming naloloko kay super man at sa mga super hero? what so great about people na hindi man lang marunong magsuot ng brief properly. :p

3/7/06 12:09   

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kung may superhuman qualities ka nang gaya kay superman, wala ng pakialam ang tao sa costume mo. :P

4/7/06 15:53   

Blogger kitkat said...

oo nga! at kung gwapo ka tulad ng mga yun, asus.. anong paki nila sa suot mo? hehehe.. :D

i love love superman!!! XD

5/7/06 22:54   

Blogger oNiN said...

i'm just wondering how he managed to impregnate lois lane with his underwear on top of his blue spandex tights... haha, go figure! :)

6/7/06 01:31   

Blogger Drama Queen Amrie said...

hindi ko rin masyadong feel si lois lane. parang hindi si lois lane...

pero astig talaga si superman. hehe

8/7/06 00:53   

Blogger Eugene Garcia said...

hindi makarelate :(

OY wag spoilers! (sa comments a, hindi ung sa post tinutukoy ko kasi may warning naman)

8/7/06 01:48   

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, panoorin mo na kasi Superman eh! maganda siya talaga! as for lois, medyo uptight siya doon. parang ang taray niya masyado.

13/7/06 01:51